INSURENEX currently serves a large market in Southern California, so it’s important to us to help you feel prepared for earthquakes. Earthquakes are caused by a sudden release of energy in the Earth’s crust, resulting in seismic waves. Earthquakes can happen almost anywhere, at any time, and can cause personal injury and/or property damage. Here are some tips to know to protect yourself:
1. Locate safe spots in each room of your home- for example, under a sturdy table or against an inside wall, and hold earthquake drills with each of your family members.
2. Plan your evacuation route, designating a space for family to meet and communicate if separated.
3. Create a survival kit.
4. Keep an updated inventory of your personal property and other important documents in a fire-proof safe.
5. Secure all large or heavy objects that can fall during an earthquake.
6. Get professional assessment of your building’s structure.
7. Water heaters should be strapped to wall studs to help prevent toppling.
8. Natural gas lines should have an automatic seismic safety shutoff valve at the building entry point.
9. If you are inside when an earthquake happens, stay in there. Follow the “Drop, Cover, Hold” technique.
10. If you are outside, get away from buildings, trees, and power lines and drop to the ground.
If you want more information on how to get earthquake insurance, visit our page at www.insurenex.com/pages/more-from-insurenex.
Information provided by Travelers Insurance.